Napier Street Dune – Stage I

CCA’s Napier St dunes project commenced in 2012  

Top of site: Sea Spinach Weed

Cottesloe Coastcare volunteers’ project is to restore the badly degraded foredunes at the north end of Cottesloe main beach, opposite Napier Street. The site was characterised by erosion, loss of local vegetation and weed invasion, made worse by significant human pressures.

After a successful funding application in 2011 to Coastwest for nearly $35,000 and in partnership with The Town of Cottesloe, CCA have volunteers worked hard to improve the recreational, environmental and aesthetic values of the area. The following photos tell the story!

The area of dune between the two pathways was almost entirely covered by invasive species with very little native vegetation present. In addition to this, the existence of a storm-water drainage pipe in the area has caused significant erosion. Town of Cottesloe has installed a soak pit near by; however, the problem with storm water drainage persists.

Weeds after spraying

60% of the Coastwest grant paid for the installation of timber staircases and the remaining 40% was spent on fencing upgrades, weed eradication and the reintroduction of native coastal vegetation. Cottesloe Coastcare volunteers committed $15,000 of volunteer labour to the 18 month project to plant 4000 local provenance plants.

The  3-wire fencing at the westernmost side of the dune was upgraded, to discourage people from further damaging this fragile area and allow the dune to naturally rebuild. The two access pathways to the beach which were unstable and erosive were formalised with timber steps.

You can read more about the 18 month project on our regular blog updates July 2011 and December 2011

 

 

Napier Street Foredune project site

 

STAGE 1 – weeding!

STAGE 3 – Two ramps built

 

STAGE 2 – Spinifex heads for burial at toe of the dune

 

 

 

 

 

 

STAGE 4 – fences constructed.

Planting in June 2012

Hand watering during the plants’ first summer

How this section looks is 2017! Quite a transformation.