Dutch Inn Groyne

Dutch Inn Groyne is the south Cottesloe groyne – opposite the end of Beach Street. The name Dutch Inn, according to Ruth Marchant James’ Cottesloe a Town of Distinction (p337), comes from the period around WW II when surf ski enthusiasts used an empty shop at a Marine Parade house, near Beach Street, to store canvas surf skis.When a Dutch Navy caterer, August (Gus) Alexander Haye rented the shop in 1947, he set up a small tea room complete with a wooden clog hanging outside for advertising. The shop no longer exists.

 

In 2008 CCA commenced restoration work across the road from the site of the Dutch Inn tearooms. Town of Cottesloe removed some Victorian tea tree and thick couch grass has been treated several times. CCA volunteers planted approximately 1000 seedlings (2008) and had summer watering and many weeding sessions at the site. Some infill planting was done by CCA in 2010 and 2013,(approx 300 plants each time).

Planting near Dutch Inn groyne in 2008

In fill planting at the same site as the photo above – near Dutch Inn groyne, with a team from Pricewaterhouse Coopers during winter 2017

CCA volunteers and PwC workers at Dutch Inn, June 2017

In 2012 Town of Cottesloe built a weed barrier between the playground lawns and the top of the narrow (weed infested) fore dune on the north side of Dutch Inn groyne. Couch, pelargonium and sea spinach were sprayed in Oct 2013 and again in May 2014. Woody weeds were removed in early 2014. CCA volunteers planted 600 plants on this dune in June 2014. Small numbers of seedlings were planted in 2016 and again in 2017 as areas were cleared of weeds.

Dutch Inn planting 2014

 

 

 

Hardy CCA volunteers planting on a very cold, wet and windy day at Dutch Inn – 2014!

 

 

 

As you can see in the photos above – in  2017 CCA volunteers were delighted to host an excellent  team from Pricewaterhouse Coopers for a day of planting. PwC have assisted our work for several years and we are very grateful for this support.